After I posted Dear Coffee, I have found someone else, I have received a few messages asking me to elaborate about what I actually did to successfully replace coffee.
Now, before I tell you, please remember, I am not a doctor, but I am a human, and know when I eat something if it makes me feel good or bad. If you listen to your body, it will talk to you too.
Here’s the story:
Giving up Coffee in the Past = Unsuccessful: I have tried to stop drinking coffee several times in the past. Here are the three things that have stopped me from being successful:
- Ridiculous headaches.
- Missing the routine of going and getting coffee in the morning.
- The assumption that I “needed” it.
- No headaches.
- Maintained my morning routine, just substituted fresh juice and wheatgrass.
- I realized, I didn’t “need” it at all, and in fact I had more energy without it.
FYI – I have also been taking vitamins and eating a lot more fruits and vegetables, which I think has been motivated by the fact that I feel so much better without coffee (and maybe a little to do with the documentary, Forks over Knives - yikes). Basically, feeling healthier = increased desire to maintain health. Pretty simple.
It’s funny (and obviously another very simple concept) how once you take something small like coffee out of your diet and witness the dramatic effects, you start to really understand how foods/drinks have such a positive or negative effect on us. Doctor or not, trust me, if take you take care and listen to your body, it will tell you everything you need to know.
If you are interested in making this change as well, I have provided a couple of resources for you:
- 15 Creative Alternatives to Coffee (via Shape Magazine including Peppermint Tea, Pomegranate Juice, and the cutting edge, Lemon Water)
- Start your Day with water and lemon (via Elephant Journal)
- Health Benefits of Wheatgrass (video below).